What is a Subaward?
A subaward may be required if part of the research effort under a sponsored project is to be performed by an outside organization or institution. The subagreement defines the scope of work, provides an itemized budget and budget justification, and outlines the terms and conditions under which the work will be completed. It also ensures that the subrecipient complies with sponsor requirements.
The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) manages all subagreements with other institutions. Subcontracts should be set up as soon as possible after the receipt of an award.subagreements with other institutions. Subcontracts should be set up as soon as possible after the receipt of an award.
How to Request a Subaward
To initiate one, you or an authorized representative will need to make a request for subcontract agreement using GTCrossroads. This web-based system requires a Georgia Tech account ID and Kerberos password.
Step-by-Step Process to Request a Subagreement Online
- Visit OSP Contract System - https://webwise.gtri.gatech.edu/osp/sub/sitemap. Use your GT Kerberos Password or GTRI credentials to access the system.
- Under the OSP Contract Information System tab you will find a section for Subagreement Management. Click on “make a request for new subagreement.”
- To complete the "Request for a Subagreement" process you will want to have the following information ready:
-- Detailed budget
-- Statement of work (including any deliverables/reports)
-- Short narrative as to why you selected the subcontractor
-- Cost price analysis
- Query on the fund number you wish to issue the subcontract/consulting agreement under.
- After completing the required fields, click on “Submit to OSP.”
- Print a copy of the request form for signature. FAX or e-mail signed copy of the request form to OSP: 404.385.0864.
A notification of acceptance, as well as other progress notifications will be sent via the ICOL system. Upon receipt of the returned subcontracts, an agreement will be issued to the subcontractor against which project-related costs may be billed. The Principal Investigator will be responsible for monitoring the technical performance of the subcontractor, verifying that required cost sharing is properly documented, and approving the invoices for payment. Please notify a contracting officer in OSP’s subagreement division promptly with any questions or concerns. A request for modification will be needed in order to add additional funds or time to the existing subcontract.
The Principal Investigator will be responsible for providing oversight of the subcontract including:
- Monitoring the technical performance of the subcontractor
- Verifying that required cost sharing is properly documented
- Approving the invoices for payment
Please notify Division Manager, Dana Simpson (404.894.6934) if any questions or concerns arise, including (1) a subcontractor needs additional time or funds, (2) disputes over performance of the agreed statement of work, etc.